3 cups sifted unbleached flour (or half unbleached and half whole wheat)
1/2+1/4 cup plant based butter (see butter recipe)
1+ 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1 packet active dry yeast
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
For brushing biscuits before baking
1/2 cup melted plant based butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
2. In a bowl, cut your butter into pieces and put in the freezer for 30 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, add your milk and lemon juice, stir, then sit to the side for 30 minutes.
4. In a third bowl, add your sifted flour and salt, give a brief stir, and sit to the side.
5. In a fourth bowl, add your warm water, (this step should be done approximately 7 minutes before using your butter and milk mixture) sugar, and yeast, and give a gentle stir.
6. After 30 minutes, take your pieces of butter and disperse throughout your flour mixture.
7. With your fingers or a potato masher, press the butter mixture throughout the flour mixture.
8. Create a hole in the center of your flour mixture and then pour your milk mixture and yeast mixture in, and combine until you have a wet dough.
9. On a lightly floured surface, add your dough and lightly flour the top of the dough also.
10. Fold the dough 4 times (adding only a teaspoon of flour if it starts to stick to your hands) and press out until about 1/2 an inch thick.
11. Using a tea cup or a round cookie cutter, cut out pieces and line it on a lightly buttered stainless steel baking sheet.
12. Keep folding your dough and cutting out pieces until all you have is a small piece of dough left. Take that last piece of dough and just round it and add it to the baking sheet.
13. Cover the biscuits with a light towel, and allow them to rise for about 30 minutes.
14. Lightly brush the top with melted butter and parsley mixture, and bake for 12 minutes. Then, turn your broiler on and let the top of the biscuits lightly brown.
15. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve with jam, jelly, or enjoy it plain!